Prof. Dr. Mohammod Shahidullah
President, Bangladesh Medical & Dental Council (BM&DC)
Health and Pharmaceuticals
November 28, 2021 | 4:30pm - 5:45pm | GMT+6
Brief on Special Achievement:
- Chairman, National Technical Advisory Committee on COVID 19
- Member, National Research Ethical Committee, BMRC
- Advisor to Regional Director of WHO-SEAR in Immunization TAG committee
- Chairman, National Certification Committee for Polio Eradication (NCCPE)
- Member, National Committee for Immunization Practice (NCIP)
- Chairman, National Technical Working Committee (NTWC) on Newborn Health formed by the Ministry of
Health & Family welfare (MOHFW).
- Chairman, Technical Sub Committee on 'Neonatal Sepsis' formed by the MOHFW.
- Member, National Core Committee for development of National Neonatal Health Strategy (NNHS).
- Co-Chairperson, Cross-cutting Sub Committee of National Neonatal Health Strategy (NNHS).
- Chairman, Technical Advisory Group (TAG)-Community Based Management of Neonatal Sepsis OR.
- Chairman, Technical Advisory Group (TAG)-Pilot Study on Helping Babies Breathe (HBB) a study of American
Academy of Paediatrics, supported by USAID.
- Chairman, Board of Management, Bangladesh Institute of Child Health (BICH)
- Member Secretary, Board of Management, Institute of Child Health (ICH) & Shishu Sasthya Foundation
Brief contribution of the organization: Economy of Bangladesh: Maternal, Newborn and Child Health has great indirect effect on economy. Maternal
and child illness has got impact on economy and their mortality has other aspect of effect on economy. In both
the cases there is absence for work leads to economic loss. For over treatment purpose there is direct
expenditure from out of pocket. As for example under 5 child death was 133 per thousand and maternal death
47 of 100 thousand delivery have reduced to 45 per thousand and 173 per 100 thousand respectively has
reduced economic loss in the country. I and my teammates have significant contribution in reducing maternal
newborn child health in the country.
Local and/or Foreign Private investment of Bangladesh
Generating Employment in Bangladesh: I have taken of many projects relating to maternal newborn and child
health (example: Helping Babies Breathe, Comprehensive Newborn Care Package, ETAT, etc. funded by
Development Partners have generated employment opportunity for many health care professionals and
people of other occupation.
Transferring/Development technology in Bangladesh: Digital auscultation device which has been invented
in USA and approved FDA is validated in Bangladesh.
Transferring/Development knowledge in Bangladesh: Many newborn low cost effective interventions have
been developed and implemented in Bangladesh which have direct impact in reducing newborn child and
maternal death and also improving health of these population.
Transferring/Development skill in Bangladesh: Helping Babies Breathe a skill which help the newborn
survival from Birth Asphyxia 35,000 health care provider of different cadres have been trained so far.
Message on Bangladesh International Investment Summit 2021 :
'Bangladesh is a densely populated country with huge number of children population. This children need low cost
interventions, medical device and newer drugs for medical care. So, local and foreign investment has got a great
opportunity in Bangladesh'.